Sunday, March 16, 2008

Shamrock Run and Crossfit--Pole style



Well, its kinda cool in Arizona today...only 72 degrees! Life is grand...

So yesterday was the 4 mi Shamrock run. As previously stated, I wanted to run between 32-36 min. We arrived at the run and it was tiny! 200 people. Can't remember the last time a race was that small. In Chicago it seems like every race is in the thousands. The smallest race that I've run in Chi has a cap of 750 people for a half marathon. Anyhow I digress...

The race was along the banks of a canal. There was a 20 mph wind and we started into the wind. It was going good, I hit mile one about 8:15, but the dirt was blowing and it was so dry that I felt like my mouth was on fire. I skipped the first water stop, but had to stop at the other two just to rinse the grit out of my mouth. When we turned around and headed back, the wind was at our backs and it was HOT and dry. I was tired from battling the wind (it was like running uphill for 2 miles) and slowed somewhat. I knew I wasn't going to do 32 min, but that was alright. We turned around the last quarter mile and ran to the finish in the wind. In the last 100 m there were two people ahead of me and I was determined to beat them. I passed the guy and then the woman was ahead of me with about 50 feet to go. I reached down inside me and pulled out everything I had and passed her with less than 10 feet to go. I was at a dead sprint across that finish line, and I felt like I was going to puke. That's when you know you're giving it all! Final time: 34:45.

After about a 2 min recovery, I went back to look for Stephanie. I ran her in the last 1/4 mile, which was fun.

I ended up 10th in my age group, with the fastest woman coming in at 28 min. Had I done 32 I would've been in 2nd place. Maybe next time. Overall: 60/193 total.


The evening had us bar hopping. At the last bar we went to, there were dancing poles. Oh boy...needless to say, crossfit should consider adding pole routines for squats. Paul...talk about a perfect tool for slow squat therapy... :)

2 comments:

Mr. Mirek said...

HA! CrossFit Pole Dancing?!? Nice! Congrats on the 10th Place finish. Still wishin' I was in a warm place too this Spring Break, but I'll stop whining. Keep us updated on any othee...ahem...adventures.

Katie said...

Tanya, I want photos. ;) Drunken Crossfit pole dancing? This HAS to be good. A Crossfit friend of mine did pole dancing a month or two ago and she wrote a whole blog about it. Said it was a great workout. She asked Jerry if we could put in a pole... she was rewarded with a raised eyebrow. ;)